The International 2019 preview: Team Liquid
The International 2019 preview: Team Liquid ⚡⚡⚡ Esports and gaming news, analytics, reviews on WePlay! The latest news on WePlay!
Team Liquid had a rough season but they managed to regain their momentum.
DPC placement: 5
DPC points earned: 5820
- MDL Macau 2019 — 1st place
- EPICENTER Major — 2nd place
- MDL Disneyland Paris Major — 2nd place
- Amer “Miracle-” Al-Barkawi (Jordan)
- Aliwi “w33” Omar (Romania)
- Ivan “MinD_ContRoL” Ivanov (Bulgaria)
- Maroun “GH” Merhej (Lebanon)
- Kuro “KuroKy” Salehi Takhasomi (Germany)
Path to The International
The beginning of Dota Pro Circuit 2018/19 wasn't notable for Team Liquid at all. After last season which was very stressful, they decided to have some rest and skip the DreamLeague Minor and the Kuala Lumpur Major. When it was time to come back, TI7 champions couldn't perform at the same level they used to. The European squad had to play with shadow in Chongqing, but even with their full roster in Stockholm they failed to get into top-6.
This lackluster performance raised many questions about the team. However, they managed to have a final spurt with two second places in Paris and Moscow. After the MDL Disneyland Major KuroKy decided to substitute MATUMBAMAN with w33. With the Shanghai Major 2016 champion Team Liquid are going to TI9 as one of the favourites to claim the Aegis of Champions.
- KuroKy. A recognised captain able to outdraft any opponent, set the smart game plan and ensure it is executed perfectly.
- Miracle-. For several years he is considered to be one of if not the greatest player of all time. You give him enough space, you lose — this is the unwritten law of Dota 2.
- Draft diversity. After w33 has joined, Team Liquid became less predictable. During the EPICENTER Major the European squad played 59 heroes which is more than any other team.
- Team Chemistry. Although the core of Team Liquid has stayed together for a very long time, it seemed like the substitution was rather rash. W33 is a strong player, but will they play harmoniously?
- Inconsistency. During this season the squad has reached both great heights and miserable lows. This instability may play its bad role in Shanghai.
Zero Fs given atmosphere. In TI7 True Sight you could see how KuroKy sets up his team. They came out to stage just to have fun. The pressure is not an issue for them at all, so the risk of making unforced errors is minimized.
Top-4. Team Liquid managed to eliminate some of their flaws by changing their core player. They potentially have everything to win the whole tournament. Yet we are sure to know many new things about Team Liquid.
The International 2019 will take place in Shanghai on August 15 — 25. The current prize pool has overcome $32.000.000.