First PlayStation 5 details revealed officially
First PlayStation 5 details revealed officially ⚡⚡⚡ Esports and gaming news, analytics, reviews on WePlay! The latest news on WePlay!
Wired magazine has today published some news about the next PlayStation. Mark Cerny, platform's head architect, has shared this official exclusive information. Read the main innovations and developments below.
- Cerny doesn't call it 'PlayStation 5'. He says this console is 'the next generation of PlayStation'.
- Cerny wants to do everything so that the console brings "fundamental changes" to users, and not just be a more powerful black box under the TV.
- Game studios have already received devkits, and recently Sony has significantly accelerated their distribution.
- Next PlayStation will not be released in 2019.
- The console is built on the AMD Ryzen processor based on the 7-nanometer Zen 2 architecture. The Radeon Navi graphics chip is installed in the console, with support for ray-tracing.
- One of the main features of the console is the custom AMD chip, which handles audio processing. Cerny didn't like that the sound in games has not changed at all since PlayStation 3.
- In order to feel the difference in the sound, you won't need to buy new speakers or headphones. This is about sound's processing in games — processing the environment and materials geometry.
- Cerny declined to talk about the possible next-generation PS VR but noted that VR will be important for Sony in the next generation. Current versions of PS VR helmets will work with the next PlayStation.
- One of the main changes in the next PlayStation will be faster content load — there's an SSD with unknown characteristics installed into the console. With a devkit, Cerny showed the journalists how it works on with fast travel in Spider-Man — 0.8 seconds instead of 15 seconds.
- With the new SSD, not only the time in the loading screens will be reduced. Cerny explained that the potential speed with which the heroes will be able to move through the worlds in high detail will also increase. Thanks to a faster SSD, the camera in Marvel's Spider-Man can move at the speed of an "F-series fighter", and the ambient clarity remains at the same level as on the PS4 Pro with normal movement.
- Judging by Cerny's words, this is not about the installation of an SSD — a custom model with increased bandwidth will be used in the new PlayStation.
- Cerny believes that the games on the next PlayStation will change a lot thanks to the SSD — the entire culture of loading screens and specialized hubs, which usually limit the player, may disappear. There will be no need for them now.
- The next PlayStation supports 8K resolutions, but the demonstration was within a 4K display.
- Cerny did not say whether Death Stranding will be released on the next PlayStation. Sony has just confirmed once again that the game will be available on PS4.
- Next PlayStation will have backward compatibility with PS4. Sony wants the transition to a new generation to be "soft."
- Sony is not going to give up physical media. The next generation will also have drives.