Bard is technically the first roaming support in League of Legends, although Alistar once had that role before a nerf returned him to his support duties. Originally, he was created as an actual bard, with an instrument for a weapon and a prominent musical theme. However, Bard was transformed into a more cosmic character, whose purpose was to protect relics and sacred places found around the world. His abilities now reflect his character as he is able to use spirits and chimes to aid him in his battles.
- TRAVELER'S CALL: Sacred chimes will appear in various locations on the map, if Bard happens to collect one, he’ll be granted a short boost in movement speed, experience, and mana. In addition, his presence also attracts Meeps, small spirits, who will aid Bard in battle. Whenever Bard attacks, these Meeps will throw themselves at the target for additional damage; by garnering more chimes, he’ll be able to gather a group of Meeps who will grow in power.
- COSMIC BINDING: Bard fires a line of spirit energy that damages and slows the first enemy that it hits, while continuing to damage other enemies behind them. In addition, if Cosmic Binding hits a wall, it will stun the first and second enemy that the spirit energy hits.
- CARETAKER'S SHRINE: As a support, Bard will be able to create a health pack for his allies to use; all they have to do is walk over the pack to regain some health and get a burst of movement speed. Enemies can destroy the pack by simply standing on it.
- MAGICAL JOURNEY: Bard is also a master of portals, he can target walls and create a one-way passage through them. These can be used by both allies and enemy champions.
- TEMPERED FATE: Bard creates a stasis field, of sorts, as any champion, minions, monsters, or turrets that lie within this targeted area, will be frozen for a while. All frozen units will be immune to all damage until the stasis effect is over.
As a roaming support, Bard has the unique ability to leave his lane without worry that it’ll be quickly overtaken by the enemy team. He’s able to roam quickly with the help of the chimes and his Caretaker’s Shrine ability, the boosts in movement speed help him travel quickly, while he also has the ability to regenerate his health and mana at the same time. In addition, he’s able to assist his allies by being able to slow, stun, and freeze enemies. This makes him extremely useful in teamfights, as Bard can use his portals to give his allies an easy way into a fight, while casting his ultimate can save his allies by freezing enemies for a few seconds.
Test the role of roaming support with Bard, the latest League of Legends champion, who may reverse your perspectives about the support role.